Welcome to the Graduate Centers Resources Guide!
The Pearson Library is here to assist you regardless of where you attend classes. This guide is designed to assist students attending classes at our graduate centers. Click on your location to find customized resources to support your academic work. You'll find eBooks, full-text articles, video and online tutorials and much more!
California Lutheran University Woodland Hills Center Photo by Henri Mondschein
5 steps to successful research
- Find a focus: Develop a manageable topic - not too broad, not too narrow. Frame your topic idea as a question. For example: What is the impact of the recession on public housing projects?
- Craft a thesis statement: The thesis statement is a position, an assertion or opinion in need of explanation.
- Identify needed information: Decide what books, reference sources, and articles will help you thoroughly research your subject. Consider current books, eBooks, articles, and decide if you need to interview experts on the subject.
- Create your research strategy: List keywords, synonyms and related terms, subject terms, and descriptors for your research.
- Review your findings: Look at the quality, quantity, and relevance of the results. Does your research support your thesis? Are you finding relevant facts and quotes? Identify the gaps. Ask yourself: What else do I need to know? What seems to be missing?